Friday, 6 January 2012

Making the leap

So far, the closest I have got to crocheting apparel is scarf making.  I've yet to make anything that requires more shaping than an increase here and there.  Well I am taking the plunge.

I've been collecting a weekly magazine called the "Art of Crochet" it's my weekly luxury and I have 35 issues now which gives me quite a few different patterns, some easy and some not so easy.  This is one of them.

Shaping is minimal and the stitches are just alternate rows of trebles and doubles.

Looks simple and appropriate for a first apparel project right?


My parents offered to take the kids for a week.  My parents live many hundreds of kilometers away in the far, far north.  When the not so little ones go to stay there sans us, we usually arrange to meet half way.  Halfway is a 2.5 hour drive to Whangarei.

Yesterday the four of us drove north.  On the way we stopped at Warkworth and picked up my 9 year old "great niece" (yes I am a great aunt twice over now) and drove three kids to Whangarei, had a picnic of bacon and egg pies, cheerios (small sausages not the American cereal) and sauce, lemonade and cake at a park by the Whangarei Visitor Centre on the outskirts of Whangarei, swapped the kids and then I dragged the Hubs to go shopping!

I found some Bamboo cotton on sale for $2 a 50g ball.  I purchased 10 balls, more than enough to start this project.  Excited? You betcha!!!

The hubs also found me this, it came with all the hooks pictured.  I now have a collection of steel hooks for crochet cotton to make lace etc.  A couple of them are so fine I can barely see the hook!

By now I was in the midst of toe curling ecstasy! New materials, new tools!  The 2.5 hr drive to get home was slow and I was impatient.  We got stuck in traffic North of Warkworth due to the 3 sets of traffic lights spanning the stretch of highway just outside the town.  Not fun!

I spent the time planning and admiring my cotton and new hooks, singing to the music from my iPod and bugging the hubs.

As soon as we got home and got the dogs settled (they'd been stuck inside for a good 5 hours for the first time in weeks) from the excitement of our return and resentment at being left behind, I pulled out the pattern, made a nice cup of coffee and started.

I'm a little nervous about this, but I am underway.

No comments:

Post a Comment