Saturday, 4 February 2012

Pencil Case or pouch

African flowers have been put aside briefly.  I had issues sewing them together for some reason, maybe I was tired? Who knows, but I needed a confidence booster and to do something I had been mentally planning.  I mentioned making the wee girl a pencil case and she got her stationery on Friday.

I had an idea for baby granny squares in a frame.  I also knew a pencil case would need a lining, or all the pens and pencils would fall out.  Sewing is not my forte, well not on a machine at any rate.  I've also never put a zip in anything, I confess when I was at school, I took the projects home to finish and persuaded my stepmother to do the hard stuff.

So I made six teeny tiny granny squares out of two tones of purple (the wee girls fav colour) and crocheted them together.  Then I crocheted a row of single crochet and a row of treble crochets in black.

Another row all around in the light purple trebles and fasten off.

Then two rows of the dark purple above and below to make it longer but not wider.

A row all around of singles.

I crocheted a rectangle the same size in trebles for the back and crocheted the two together with single crochet.

Then I made the lining.  I used some spare purple material remnants I purchased about 6 months ago for the WG to learn to sew on.  I cut it about the same size as the crochet pouch with the right side as the inside.  I sewed seams to prevent fraying, turned it and pinned the zip into place then sewed it on.  I don't have a zipper foot for my very simple machine, so that was a little difficult.  Then I sewed up the side seams and trimmed it.  I hand stitched it into the pouch so that the stitching didn't show too much on the outside.  It looks a little uneven but I think that adds to the charm.

The Wee Girl is very happy with the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment